Whole wheat vanilla cupcakes (adapted from simplywhisked.com
Makes 24 cupcakes
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour or 1 ½ cup whole wheat flour plus 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 ½ cup butter or butter substitute, room temperature
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk or non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 cupcake tins with cupcake liners or spray the tins with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a second large bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, ~ 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time until mixed.
- Add the milk and mix until smooth.
- Fill the cupcake liners until ⅔ full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing from pan to cool completely before frosting.