- The same amounts as above of beans, cocoa powder, sugar/dates, and oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 2 flax eggs OR for non-vegan, 3 eggs (for flax eggs, mix 2 tbs flaxseed meal with ¼ cup hot water and mix well. Let sit for 5 minutes or until thickened)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Optional: 1 tsp coffee grounds
- If needed to blend: milk of choice or water
- Optional: ½ cup chocolate chips or walnuts
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar and ½ cup pitted dates, OR ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- ½ cup water
For brownies: Preheat oven to 350F. Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add all ingredients except chocolate chips or walnuts to a blender and blend until smooth. Add milk or water a few tablespoons at a time if mixture is too thick to blend. Fold in desired toppings and stir with a spoon to combine. Pour batter into a greased baking dish and bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick or knife comes out clean (if you added liquid, cook time may be longer). Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then serve. Makes about 16 brownies.
Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, adding more water if too thick. Can also use a bowl and hand mixer or potato masher. Serve over ice cream or as a dipping sauce for your favorite fruit. We tried it with strawberries and bananas!